Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interrogation

If you care to, you may smoke. No..? well it doesn’t suit you. You’re the healthy type aren’t you?

Thank you for returning my call and agreeing to make your way down to the station for our little chat. I know you don’t drive so I trust the bus was not too much bother with the weather being so foul. Ah… so you did take a cab, all the better. I do like a man who likes a little comfort over parsimony.

So lets get on with it shall we? Grubbner, my boss asked me to review your dossier and while it usually takes an hour or two to review the dossiers of our citizens when called upon, I was quite taken with it’s contents and actually spent the entire weekend studying the details of a really remarkable combination of facts and figures. Some passages brought me to a state of great excitement and the kind of expectation explorers get when entering a dusty tomb. Dossiers such as yours come along once (if one is lucky) in a career. Not that anything in it is of particular astonishment nor even out of the ordinary. On the contrary you seem at first glance to have made it your goal in life to exist without distinction of any kind. That certainly was what caught Grubbner’s attention. When all seems normal to our staff, Grubbner’s nose itches. That, my dear young man, is what separates Grubbner from the entire Investigative Body. Grubbner walks into a room and people sweat. Other agencies tremble when Grubbner asks for a meeting. But lets leave Grubbner for now shall we? With any luck we can resolve your predicament… well lets use a more suitable word. Predicament implies a certain uncomfortable position. And that is certainly not the intention of this inquiry.

And thus it is that we have come together today to clear up the fragments of ostensible inconsistencies I may have uncovered within the depositions taken with regards to your file. Constancy is the measure of all dossiers. Thus my mandate is bring yours up to that standard.

I’m going to have to interrupt you here Professor Langerhans. When our last session ended we agreed to discuss the falling out you had with your friend Garbo. You had a violent argument with Garbo… remember?